Thursday, March 28, 2013

Relaxer Touch Up

To me, tex-laxing isn't a product; It's a technique. Some ladies cover their hair in oils, others use milder strength relaxers, while a few, mix conditioners to intentionally under-process their relaxers. I simply don't soothe the relaxing cream to achieve my tex-laxed results.

I relax in two sections, which usually requires to kits and double jumping in and out of the shower. I first discovered this process from fellow blogger Ms. Kibbi of www.kibibihair.com.

It's tedious, but totally worth it. Now I have no fear of some over-processed and then some severally under-processed roots. Uniform tex-laxed results every time! So here's how my touch up today went:

1. Prepare- The wash day before my relaxer, I prep my strands with a protein treatment and extreme deep condition. Last wash day, I used Nexxus Emergencee. 
2. Protect- The day of my relax, I first section my hair into four quads. Then I take each quad and split into 1" sections. Next, I base my scalp with JBCO then lightly cover my previously relaxed ends with Roux Porosity Control, Chi Silk Infusion, and Joico Moisture Recovery. Lastly, I double strand twist each section, starting the twist at the line of demarcation, so that I know where to apply the relaxer. I cover the front two quads with shower caps to keep it from getting relaxer or water on it while I work on my back half.
3. Apply- I start my application process at the crown of the two back sections. This is where my curls are the tightest. I use a sprush to make the process go back super fast. Because I know exactly where to apply the relaxer and I only apply the relaxer to my unprocessed roots, the fear of overlapping the relaxer is minimal. Once I apply the relaxer, I smooth with my fingers. This takes about 9 minutes. (I use a timer every time to keep myself honest!) Lastly, I unravel the twists and prepare to wash the relaxer out. 
4. Fortify- In the shower, I rinse out the relaxer then applied a mixture of One n Only Argan Oil and Nexxus Emergencee. (I usually use Nexxus Keraphix as my mid-relaxer strengthener, but I didn't even notice that I was out! I nearly had a serious meltdown and considered postponing my relaxer. That's how serious this is! However, I figured that these two would do a decent job and luckily it did! But next time---I'm back to Keraphix!)
5. Neutralize- After rinsing the protein conditioner, I neutralize 3 lathers with the neutralizing shampoo that is contained in the kit plus a 5 minute ACV rinse just to be ensure that the relaxer has been rinsed away and the chemical process has been stopped. 
6. Remove- Have you ever felt like you loose a little shine and luster after a relaxer? This might be because of the dulling mineral deposits in most no-lye relaxer kits. To prevent this, I shampoo with a chelating poo. Today I used Kenra Chelating. Then I did my usual green tea rinse and Paul Mitchell Smoothing treatment. (Like I said--I'm quite habitual)
7. Restore- Every relaxer touch up ends with an extreme deep condition. I applied vitamin e oil to my scalp, just in case the relaxer caused irritation (which hasn't happened to me in years but its a hard habit to break), then Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Conditioning Balm to the length of my hair and grapeseed oil, cover with a plastic cap then emptied a few shows in my DVR for about 2 hours. 

I rinsed, air dried, detangled, and applied It's a 10! and Chi Silk Infusion as my leave ins then flat ironed. 
Results: Awesomely wavy tex-laxed hair! I had a lot less shed hair than I was expecting and aside from not having my trust Keraphix for my mid-relaxer protein treatment, all went well in the land of relaxer touch ups today! Even though I don't use the sprush for smoothing, I did notice that my roots were a little straighter than I prefer---Something to contemplate for my next touch up. 

I snipped about an inch. Now looking at the pictures---I probably didn't have to...but no cutter's remorse. Yet. What do you think? Could I have gotten away with not trimming this go around?


Before Cut
After Cut

Un mil besitos
KLP
 


21 comments:

  1. After the cut your hair looks much fuller, so I would say that you made the right call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ends didn't look raggedy before the trim but it definitely looks thicker with it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ay Dios I'll take thicker ends too. Health over length right!

      Delete
  3. I don't feel you needed the trim but your hair looks much fuller with the trim which I love :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling. I just hope that i don't regret trimming at the end of the year! I can get a little scissor happy at times.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the ladies; I don't think it was needed but did add some fullness to your ends which is always good.
    What relaxer did you use for your touch-up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias Andrea! I use Just For Me Texture Softner. But don't let the name fool ya! It's nothing but a mild relaxer with sunflower oil to mix into the cream before applying. I'll post more details about the actual relaxer kit.

      Delete
  5. I agree with the other comments. Your ends looked nice before but thicker with the trim. Lovely results! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing like an uneventful and successful relaxer day! Your post was very helpful and detailed for those who wish to texlax their hair. I loved your results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope to do a completely detailed post on the "why's" on my relaxer touch up steps next post!

      Delete
  7. Nice Job! I am Studying self relaxing. I want to be independent for when the buddy system cannot work out. Going to start practicing when co-washing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ay---That's a great idea to start with conditioner first. Especially to work on your timing.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Jas! I gotta put these pics away...The more that I look at them---the more that I realize that I may have gotten a little trim happy.

      Delete
  9. You didn't need the trim but your hair looks great either way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bookmarked this page. Thanks for the advice

    http://notjustmyhair.blogspot.com/2013/06/why-cant-wash-days-be-fun.html

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!