Friday, March 15, 2013

SOS Hair Heroes: Age in Atl

Have you ever seen a gorgeous head of hair out and about and wanted to just pick their brain about what they've done to grow it without being rude, obnoxious, or weird? *Looks around and timidly raises hand* That's how I felt when I first discovered Age in Atl's blog Loving MY Hair. She's so encouraging and helpful. Plus she graciously agreed to be featured in SOS Hair's first Hair Heroes Interview!

When and at what length did you start HHJ?
I started my HHJ in May of 2009 at full APL. I never had broken off or damaged hair. I was originally searching the internet for cures for a dry scalp and came across Traycee's  page. I. WAS. IN. AWE of her hair. I had never seen waist length hair on an African American woman (that wasn't weave). I knew right then and there that I wanted it too! I have reached WL three times but I was never in love with my ends. The first time I reached WL, I had to chop because of a bad haircut. The second time was due to transitioning to texlaxed hair. I wanted to get rid of the relaxed ends quicker. This past time, my ends were holding up well, but due to a scissor happy stylist, I am no longer WL.


Currently, how long is your hair and what's your goal length?
I am currently full BSL and transitioning. My goal length is WHIP length (between waist length and hip length) but right now, I am just trying to maintain the overall health of my hair as I transition long-term. My short term goal is to reach full MBL by the summer and maintain it until the end of the year. I want to trim about 3 inches each year until I am at a comfortable length to big chop. I am in no hurry to be fully natural nor do I hate my texlaxed hair, so I am fine with a long transition!

What's your hair regimen?
I currently wash or cowash twice a week (on Sunday and Wednesday). I DC after every single wash for a minimum of an hour. I am now cowashing more often, so I may shampoo once every 3rd or 4th wash. I clarify once every 6-8 weeks. I damp bun after every wash unless I want to wear my hair out for a twist/plait/braid/bantu knot out (usually just on the weekends). I flat iron about 4 times a year, but I have cut that down since I started transitioning. I will flat iron in April but won't again until my birthday in September and maybe again for New Years. I leave my hair alone between wash days. I spray my hair with a moisturizing mix (distilled water, EVCO, and some camille rose hair milk) to keep it moist, but I do not manipulate it. It helps to keep breakage at bay. I keep it VERY simple. You can also check out my regimen for more details: http://wwwlovingmyhair.blogspot.com/p/current-regimen.html

If you could only give 3 pieces of advice, what are the things that have helped you achieve and maintain your hair the most?
  1. Keeping my scalp clean has contributed to my growth. It allows the hair to grow uninhibited without your pores being clogged. 
  2. Deep conditioning has definitely helped with my retention. It keeps my hair moisturized, strong and healthy.
  3. Moisturizing and sealing. Even though I do not do this between wash days, I do it ON wash day. After I am done t-shirt drying, I apply my leave in and seal with an oil. Deep conditioning and moisturizing and sealing on wash day keeps my hair soft and hydrated for days. That is why I am able to just spray my hair down between wash days.
One tip has contributed to my growth while the other two have contributed to my retention. But, I have to add ONE more! Proper detangling. Improper detangling can cause thinned out ends and breakage. Use the right tool, work from the ends, and be gentle with your hair.

Oh, a chica after my own heart. I just love her tips: proper detangling, deep conditioning, and moisturizing/sealing #ftw.

Un mil besitos
KLP

9 comments:

  1. Awww, i love her. Her blog is so informativ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bebe! Love your blog as well sis and I appreciate your support so much! *hugs*

      Delete
  2. Yeah! I am so excited! I thank you for the opportunity to be featured on your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Your braid and twist outs make are drool worthy!

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea KLP. Thanks for featuring Age in this post and introducing me to a new blog to follow. I love learning from anyone who has reached and surpassed my hair goals.

    And thanks for the great tips, Age! I can't wait to watch your transition from texlaxed to 100% natural! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't her hair just gorg?!? It just kills me the way that she seamlessly blends all the texture in her hair! Her blog is awesome. Definitely be sure to follow!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!