Saturday, March 16, 2013

Your Hair On: Proper Detangling

Freshly conditioned texlaxed hair
I'm 13 weeks post relaxer and it seems that all I do is detangle my hair! Its the part of my day that I love to hate. I love it because I know that it means that my hair is growing. I hate it because the longer that my hair grows the longer that it takes to detangle! Here are a few tips on how detangle my hair.
  1. Ten Paciencia Mamita (Have Patience).  Good things and less hair breakage comes to those who wait. If I don't have time to properly detangle my hair I just don't wash it that day. Experience has taught me that I'll do more harm than good if I'm in a rush.
  2. Know your hair. I've found that detangling is are much easier on my air dried hair than on wet hair--simply because my wet hairs are far more prone to breakage. Then, I gently comb through the ends, uncoil/stretch my roots out then take the time to unravel the curls, and simply ditch the shed hairs.
  3. Thorough Daily and Wash Day Detangling. A comb very rarely sees my hair during the week. I finger detangle to remove shed hairs then moisturize and seal my hair. On wash days, I detangle before and after the wash.
  4. Everything in sections. I now know that everything works better in sections. During my first stretch, I had the unfortunate habit of rubbing shampoo into my hair. This was completely and utterly counterproductive. Why detangle before shampooing only to rub all the strands back together while trying to work the hair into a lather creating friction and you guessed it--more knots. Now I rub a quarter size amount of shampoo  between my hands to work into the thick later that I love. Then massage with as little focus on the length of my hair and concentrated cleansing on my scalp--where the shampoo is actually needed. I've also diluted shampoo in an applicator bottle then squeezed only on my scalp in sections.
  5. Micro-trim if necessary. Rough, split, thin, and damaged ends easily attach themselves itself to other strands wrapping around and creating knots. Micro trimming with very sharp scissors to be rid of split ends then be sure to keep your hair especially the roots and ends moisturized, sealed and protected from the elements. 
Detangling can be a pain, but it puts you one step closer to reaching and EXCEEDING your hair goals. 

What other tips and tricks do you use to detangle your tresses?

Un mil besitos!
KLP  

10 comments:

  1. No. 5- I am proof of that. After my last relaxer my hair was so hard to detangle as it was constantly wrapping itself around itself. After I went back for a trim my hair felt softer and was much easier to detangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes we think that trims are the enemy, but there are times when they are just necessary. And that's okay. The good news that that because you didn't continue to hold on to your ends for length's sake, now you won't have to be leery of having a setback due to improper detangling. Part with a little...get a lot!

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  2. All good points!! That I need to follow! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 4 is the truth.
    Since starting detangling in sections my hair behaves so much better during the whole washing/styling process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tip, I learned from my daughter. Silly me--I would try to detangle her entire head all at once! Gracias a dios que she's not tender headed and that I learned how to work smarter instead of harder!

      Delete
  4. My hair only tangles when I wash it but other than that it doesn't. Guess I'm quite lucky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with every single point! I like your point about knowing YOUR hair. Some people like to detangle on airdried hair, some on wet, some on damp. Whichever method you chose let it be because that is what YOUR hair likes. Don't listen to what someone else does if it doesn't work for your hair. I also liked the point about thorough detangling. I have run into the most issues when I do not thoroughly detangle on wash day. The trapped hair and tangles will cause MORE tangles later if you don't remove them. Last, I totally attest to your last point. I was surprised at how much easier my hair was to detangle after I got a good trim/cut. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to detangle on soaking wet hair every wash because I read many moons ago that was the best, easiest, fastest, way to detangle and prevent breakage. After a few years of doing that, I thought to myself "Why does it seem sooo much easier for me to detangle after wash days when I go to moisturize and seal?" Just because its what every one else does---doesn't mean that its what I need to do!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!