Monday, March 18, 2013

Mini Wash

Notes: 6 weeks no heat? Yep! >>This chica<<. I've had so much success with mini washes that it's official: they are here to stay. I'm thinking that aside from wash days that I use hard protein treatments, I'm ditching the poo. The picture below shows all the products that I used in the order that they were used.
Wash Day Products

(0) Detangled with mMagic Star Jumbo Rake in vertical sections. My roots felt really dry and coarse. It took me about 20 minutes longer to detangle today.
(1) Extreme Deep Condition: Applied Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Toner and my essential oil blend to my scalp, JBCO, and Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Conditioning Balm  to the length of my hair. Then I coated my strands in extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap  and then watched a couple of episodes of RHOA under my heating cap for a couple of hours. Don't judge me.
(2) Tea Rinse with 1 green tea bag and 1 black tea bag and 2 cups of water in a narrow tip applicator bottle. I let the rinse sit on my hair for about 5 minutes.
(3) Smoothing Treatment- Then I massaged Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment into my hair (without rinsing the tea first) and let sit for about 7 minutes. I rinsed with cool water.
(4) Air dry- I let my hair dry 85% in a cotton t-shirt. Next, I detangled and add my leave-ins.
(5) Leave-ins- Bee Mine Bee Lovely Moisturizing Daily Conditioner and extra virgin coconut oil. I found no knots but after applying the leave ins, my hair felt a little oily. I suspect that I probably was heavy handled with the coconut oil. 


Results: Beautifully moisturized and soft, big fluffy hair and very little shed hair. AGAIN! I know that I say this every time that I deep condition with Matrix, but this stuff is really awesome. Afterwards my roots felt extremely moist and manageable. I wondered if my scalp would be revolting from the lack of shampoo. Nope. Not at all. My first impressions of the Bee Lovely: Meh--I wasn't instantly in love but I didn't not love it either. It absorbed well and the scent isn't wonderful nor is it mala. (It smells a bit like play-doh to me) I'll definitely use the bottle and then post a complete review. This wash day was fairly un-eventful, which at 13 weeks post relaxer is a good thing! Next wash day I'll be relaxer prepping with clarifying and a hard protein treatment.

How was your wash day? What do you do to prep for your relaxer?

Un mil besitos!
KLP

16 comments:

  1. Congrats on the no heat stretch. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling! It's been hard! I miss my straight hair!

      Delete
  2. No poo! Whaat!? ... lol i may have to give miniwash day a try .... i have coated length of my hair with chi silk infusion last two times ive relaxed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Si chica! My mini washes are essentially glorified co-washes with heat. I love that I only have to get in the shower once and I can spend more time deep conditioning---which is what my hair needs!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the six weeks no heat! 13 weeks post and no stress? That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks love! I think that the extreme deep conditioning is keeping my roots manageable. I am having troubles styling- hence my lack of a Minute to Win it style last week. I think that I'm just going to stick to the oldie but goodie bun until I relax next week.

      Delete
  4. No Heat for the WIN! I used to love co-washed but haven't done them since last October. I DC on dry hair and rinse with a cheapie conditioner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks darling! My mini-wash is nothing but a glorified co-wash + heat!

      Delete
  5. I see you're loving the PM Super Skinny Daily Treatment. Look at the size of that bottle! You are doing great on your no heat challenge, keep it up the end is near dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About a year ago, I put it on my wish list---way at the bottom. Then while being nosey, I spotted this bottle in my suegra's bathroom. She is the definition of product junkie. She said that she liked it--wasn't in love with it and gave it to me. Woot! At first I used it as a deep conditioner and I hated it. My hair had a weird "coated" not moisturized feeling. Then when I started tea rinsing, I used it as more of a smoothing treatment---BOOM. I was in business! Since I only use a little each week, this bottle has lasted for months and months.

      Delete
  6. six weeks without heat is a great think. i believe on your next stretch you will make it to the double amount of time without heat !

    because of you i tried the "mini-wash" thing yesterday and was really impressed. i just deep conditioned for 1 hour with heat + 2 more hours without heat, hopped in the shower and rinsed the dc out put on a plastic cap ( without co-washing, tea or oil rinsing) while i took my shower. afterwards my hair was so fluffy,cant remember when my hair felt this way in the past. i will def. incorporate those mini dc days into my mid week regimen. thank you for this =) =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bebe! My goal is to go my entire next stretch without heat. I think that goal might already be shot because my birthday is next month and I know that I'm going to want to have my hair down and flowing.

      I'm sooo happy that you gave the "mini-wash" idea a try! I think that they are here to stay in my regimen! You're soooo very welcome!

      Delete
    2. You can totally go entire time with no heat!!

      Delete
  7. What do you think of the Gold N Hot heating cap? I bought one and tried it the other day. It doesn't seem to apply consistent heat and the back is neglected. Do I have a defective one? I keep seeing not-so-good reviews on them, so I am not sure. Your thoughts? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in LOVE with my heating cap. I set the temperature to high and I'm sure to use that ridiculous looking draw string to keep the cap snugly on my hair. The cap does have a safety mechanism to keep it from over heating. It will kinda "click off" after a while then turn itself back on. I've never had issues with the back of my cap not feeling heated (I wear regular old plastic caps underneath but my hair definitely feels heated) I'd recommend that you just plug it in, set the temperature to high, then wait a few minutes. Put your hand inside to see if the back is actually warm to the touch. If it's not---return that sucka and get a new one. If it is---try cross wrapping your hair then pinning it flat to your head, cover with a plastic cap, then put on your heating cap to see if it can effectively condition the back of your head. I really hope that it works!

      Besitos mamita!

      Delete
    2. Excellent tips. I will give it another try! Thanks sis!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!