Monday, March 11, 2013

Mini Wash Day


I travel a couple times a month to visit my extended family. I'm so blessed that #1 I keep a well stocked hair travel bag in my suitcase and #2 my suegra and sister-in-law use most of the same products as I do! I had so much do this week, that there was no way that I would have been able to fit a mid-week wash day in. And then...this mess happened:
Pre-washed hair with huge sections of white flakes
 Have you ever found a product that you used long ago in the back of your stash and thought "hmm...I wonder why I stopped using this?" Well the next time that you do have that thought: just throw it in the trash. Period. Do not waster your time on it! Friday morning, I decided to use an old leave-in conditioner from long long ago to moisturize my hair. I sealed as usual then went about my day. Only to return to the mirror, 5 minutes before I'm about to leave my house for the weekend, to see that I had a head full of flakes! Nope--it wasn't coming from my scalp---it was the product flaking up! I'm not sure if I used too much or maybe the product was (super) old, but my hair was a hot mess. I tried using a different leave in to cover the flakes. That didn't work. I tried brushing the flakes away. That didn't work. Finally, I put my head under the faucet to rinse the product out. This helped but needless to say I was frustrated and just OVER my hair by that point. I pulled it back into a bun and prayed that no one would notice. ---Which was also a #fail! My family has no cut cards and if your hair is mess, they WILL call you out on it. Luckily I survived being the butt of the jokes for the night. Saturday morning, I woke up early put in a good run and got ready to tackle my mess. I quickly detangled, rinsed my hair well in the shower, massaged a bit of Halka Baba de Caracol through it and air dried. Yay! My hair was saved. Even though I co-washed 48 hours ago, I'm a creature of habit so I mini-washed again today.

Wash Day Products
(0) Detangled with mMagic Star Jumbo Rake in vertical sections. 
(1) Extreme Deep Condition: Applied Philip Kingsley Flaky/Itchy Scalp Toner and my essential oil blend to my scalp, JBCO, and Mizani Moisturfusion Silk Cream Conditioner to the length of my hair. Then I coated my strands in extra virgin coconut oil covered with a plastic cap and sat under the heating cap for about two hours. 
(2) Green Tea Rinse with 1 black tea bag and 1 green tea bag and 2 cups of water in a narrow tip applicator bottle. I let the rinse sit on my hair for about 5 minutes.
(3) Smoothing Treatment- massaged Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Daily Treatment into my hair and let sit for about 7 minutes. I rinsed with cool water. (Even though I forgot to include it in my product pic) I expected my hair to be brittle or hard after with the addition of the black tea in my rinse, but it was very soft yet moisturized and strong.
(4) Air dry- I let my hair dry 95% in a cotton t-shirt, then I detangled and add my leave-ins.
(5) Leave-ins- It's a 10! and Chi Silk infusion. I found a couple (I didn't count) SSKs but they weren't a pain.


Results: Beautifully moisturized and soft, big fluffy hair and very little shed hair. AGAIN! So, that's three weeks in a row. Mini wash #ftw. After what felt like 3 days of washing my hair, all that I felt like doing was pulling it up into a bun and calling it a day. Then, of course my unruly edges decided to rebel. Dear 12 weeks post hair, why must you be so thick?

Is it just me or are some wash days just taxing? I'm thinking about getting on my braid out grind for the rest of the stretch. I need something different! How was your wash day?

Un mil besitos!
KLP

2 comments:

  1. This was a pretty funny post. lol I will try my best to remember this rule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. write it down on a sticky note and put in the back of your cupboard! I could have slapped myself when I saw those flakes.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!