Thursday, March 14, 2013

Are You Going Natural? *Insert Blank Stare*

Twisted bun on an old braidout
*Steps up on soap box*
*Checks to see if the mic is on*

Dear Pilates instructor, beauty supply cashier, random mom at the playground, and others whose names I didn't care enough to remember, 

No, I'm not "going natural." Yes, I have almost 3 inches of super curly roots. No, I don't want to be apart of anyone's movement. No, I'm not trying to get back to my roots. Yes, I do have a daughter with super curly hair. No, I don't have trouble doing her hair. Can I just be trying something different? Geez!

Thank you very much for your time and attention. 
Over the last week, I've had 11 people (no exaggeration here) ask me if I was natural or "going natural." I simply replied, "No." Then went to be about my business. But for some reason, they look at me as if to say there is more to the story. No. Actually there isn't anymore to the conversation. I have no qualms with chemical relaxers. I have no issues with those who choose not to chemically relax. If you like it then I love it. Here's what else I love: I love to wear it big. I love to wear it straight. I love to wear it pinned to the side to go on a date. (Ha-ha! Channeling my inner Dr. Suess. No judgement zone!) My hair is thick, happy and reasonably healthy. I've been "natural" before and I've relaxed bone straight before. Neither were because I wanted to make a statement or take a stand. I'm just being me: hair enchanted and fancifully indecisive. I love having a choice between the two and that's the best part.

I'm more than sure that these questions are because most people are used to seeing me with straight tresses but now that I'm detoxing from the flat iron they are just all kinds of confused. I get that. But seriously---Enough, Let's Move On...

What other kinds of hair questions grind your gears?

Un mil besitos!
KLP

9 comments:

  1. LOL! I love this post-- I was infamous for wearing a constant sew-in for 2 years straight b4 the start of my HJ. Now I get the same questions you do, "Oh you jumping on the natural movement..." No! Let me live! Good post btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIIRRRLLLL!!!

      After the 4th person, I had to stop and go look in the mirror to make sure that I wasn't going mad. Just let me live!

      Delete
  2. "Detoxing from the flat iron" lol I like that. I'm detoxing as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entering week 5 of the flat iron detox! *Throws Confetti and releases the doves* Any reason to have a party! Ha-ha!

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  3. HAHAHAHA!!! LUVSS YOU CHICA!! YEssss..I've been asked that by a hair stylist...womp womp...lol..I also get love the question..of hey!.."Is that your hair?"..woow...like yess..I can have hair past my shoulders!! ughh lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha-ha! I take getting weave checked as a badge of honor! LOL! You must be doing something right if they think that it's too good to be true!

      Delete
  4. I live in a place where most folks wouldn't even know what going natural was and the ones who do know that I'm not. The same thing happened when I detoxed lol but it was mostly my mother assuring herself that her baby wasn't abandoning the creamy crack. Now she understands the stretching process better and is okay with it most of the time. She's more distressed about me not dying my hair on a regular basis. But after the recent breakage and my gray hair being totally resistant to the dye I'm done lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not say that I regretted going natural, but there are days when I think about getting a relaxer. I love my hair, but I hate the shrinkage. I never went natural because I wanted to join some movement. I went natural because I had a bad experience with a relaxer........NO GOING TO MY ROOTS HERE. The only time I go to my ROOTS is when I have to oil my scalp. Like you said, everybody should just mind their business and let you live your life. MERRY CHRISTMAS.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!