Tuesday, May 27, 2014

4 Ways to Fight Dandruff & Flakes


I can relate to the fight for flake free hair. Until fairly recently, I would find flakes in my combs, on the bathroom counter, and all over my clothes whenever I touched my hair. I'd always "scratch my scalp" when I washed (which was like once a month at best...no wonder my scalp was going crazy!) but the flakes would still be there afterwards. Very un-sexy! Fast forward to today. My scalp is flake free and happy as can be. Here are 4 ways to fight dandruff and flakes

Evaluate Your Products (especially leave ins): Some products can cause dry scalp, contribute to yucky build up, or irritate your scalp causing what looks like dandruff. While food allergies can be different from contact allergies, be sure to label check your products before you use them. If you noticed that your scalp is irritated from chemical (read: relaxers, keratin, or coloring) treatments, you might need to consider ditching them.

How to: Start eliminating products---especially those that you're applying to your scalp---one by one. 


Essential Oil Pre-Shampoo: I love a good pre-shampoo treatment. Especially one with stimulating, detoxifying essential oils. My stimulating essential oil blend has a few drops of peppermint to invigorate and refreshes the scalp.  Plus, eucalyptus which is antimicrobial, revitalizing, and clarifying. Start with 5-10 drops of each essential oil + extra virgin coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil to see how it feels on your scalp. If the scent is overpowering, next time only use 2-3 drops of each essential oil. Or as you get customized to the sensation, you can add a few drops more. Never use essential oils undiluted as they are highly concentrated.

How to: Apply to unwashed hair and scalp then let this pre-shampoo sit for 10-20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly. 

 
Gentle yet effective shampoo: I hate the way that shampooing strips my hair but I understand it's important role in removing dirt, excess oil, and sweat from my hair. Everyone and their mama wants to prolong the days between washes. I get it---washing can be long and tedious but if your scalp starts to revolt after a few days post wash, then you probably just need to cave and wash again. I typically wash or co-wash every 3-4 days to keep my scalp clean. And for the record---a dirty scalp does NOT make your hair grow faster. It's just gross!

How to: When shampooing be sure to focus on your scalp especially in those areas where you suffer from the most dandruff. Using the pads of your finger tips---not your nails---massage the shampoo into your scalp in a circular motion, allowing the suds to cleanse the length of your hair. My fave liquid shampoo is Matrix Biolage Hydratherapie Hydrating Shampoo. I recently fell in love with shampoo bars because they don't strip my hair of moisture but still get my scalp clean and fresh.


Tea Rinses: I love tea rinses because they combat shedding and alleviate icky scalp. One of my favorite blend is Rosemary Green Aloe. Rosemary acts as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory to soothe itchiness. Green tea is an astringent packed with tannins which protect your scalp from excessive oil and dirt.

How to: Apply 2 green tea bags + 1 cup H20 + 1 cup aloe vera juice + 2 springs of rosemary using a narrow tip applicator bottle so that you can target your scalp let it sit for a few minutes then rinse.

When the weather shifts, my scalp goes a little crae-crae but after a few days, it's good to go. Your diet and lifestyle can also have an effect on your scalp. Eat great, exercise and drink tons of water. If nothing helps, visit with your dermatologist. You'll be able to figure out if you’ve got dandruff as a symptom of something else or if you are actually suffering from psoriasis/seborrheic dermatitis.

How do you keep your scalp flake free? Shout out to Nikki for asking this question!

Besitos!
KLP

10 comments:

  1. Great post as usual. I get most of my flakes from shampoos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shampooing correctly definitely helps! Thanks for stopping by Nerline!

      Delete
  2. Great tips, especially #1! I ditched the old hair grease and I just use good old coconut oil to nourish my scalp. I don't suffer from much flakes but I used to have an itchy scalp. Essential oils are my bestest friends, I used to use eucalyptus oil but he scent can be lingering and overpowering so I opted for peppermint and I use it in everything!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typically use essential oils in my pre-shampoo and not as leave ins because of the overpowering scent. Do no nobody wanna walk around smelling medicinal all day! LOL. Thanks for commenting chica!

      Delete
  3. You know how I love tea rinses and my essential oil mix!! heaven! great post chica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks doll! I can't believe that we've been doing tea rinses for over a year now. Crazy! I'm sooo glad that you convinced me to try it!

      Delete
  4. Very detailed post! Apple cider vinegar does the trick everytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh...I forgot about ACV. Or rather---I hate the smell of ACV so I try not to remember it. LOL. The good news is that it definitely does work!

      Delete
  5. ACV works well for me, but once I switched to sulfate free shampoos I didn't have scalp flakiness anymore. I mistakenly thought it was a dandruff issue but it was actually dry skin from being overly cleansed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't it funny how most cases of flakes aren't really dandruff at all? Some are your scalp's reaction to *meh* products others are a curious combination of dirt or build up.

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!