Friday, May 09, 2014

Homemade Hummus for a Healthy Waistline and Healthy Hair | Fitness Friday


I have no trouble convincing myself to go to the gym or to run a couple laps around my neighborhood. Exercising makes me happy and when I go for days without a serious sweat session, I actually feel incomplete---like something is off. Slowly...very slowly I'm working on loving healthy snacks. And it's hard. VERY hard. Then I discovered my veggies bff: hummus. A cheap, simple, and delicious dip that makes me want to eat more good stuff. It's #fitnessfriday *the crowd goes WILD* and I'm sharing my favorite (so far) hummus recipe that's good for my waistline and my hair!


Chickpeas: 
Your Waistline- Rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber plus loaded with tummy filling protein.
Your Hair- Our hair is made almost entirely of protein. Eating protein feeds your muscles and your hair zinc, iron, and B vitamins to keep your strands strong. 

Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 
Your waistline- helps lower your risk of heart disease
Your hair- improves the elasticity of your hair

Garlic:
Your waistline- Research shows that garlic is responsible for lipid-lowering, anti-hypertension, antioxidant and anti-microbial effects on you body. 
Your hair- Garlic has also been believed to combat shedding for your hair. 


Can't get enough hummus? Check out these recipes from SHAPE magazine. You can have a different dip every day! How do you convince yourself to eat more veggies?

Let's inspire together! Create a fitness related blog post and link up every Friday with me, KLP of SavingOurStrands, Ebony of Longing4Length, and Britt of One&20

Fitness Friday Linkup RULES

  1. ​Follow your hosts: SavingOurStrands, Longing4Length, and One&20 via Bloglovin'
  2. Fitness is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted---we not about that life!
  3. Inspire the Fitness Friday contributor that linked up directly before you with an encouraging comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. (Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; So everyone gets love​!).
  4. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button which links back to the Fitness Friday page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.


Besitos!
KLP





18 comments:

  1. I love hummus especially with pita bread

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been saying over and over again that I want to try hummus because I genuinely love chick peas! I'm going to try this recipe soon and I'll post in one of my FF updates how I liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to make! Especially since you already have a magic bullet. I like using it as a spread on sammys or wraps for my kiddos. But shhh don't tell them what it is! LOL.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. My favorite part is the price. I'll never buy a store hummus again!

      Delete
  4. I love hummus! I also really like how you pointed out the benefits of each ingredient :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Zoe! Simple food. Simple ingredients. Simply delish!

      Delete
  5. Mmmm looks so yummy, need to try this! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! I've never tried but it looks great. I see we are opposites in one area cause I love healthy snacking and I have to force myself to work out lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My snacking habits are atrocious. Like: seriously. But I'm trying and one day I hope to say that my habits used to be atrocious! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  7. I love hummus with crackers. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite dippable for hummus are carrot sticks. That slightly salty acidity creaminess paired with the crunchy sweet carrot....YES MA'AM! Lol!

      Delete
  8. Yumm, looks yummy, believe it or not, I've never tried hummus, but anythign with chicke peas has to be delish! Btw I nominated your blog for a Liebster award. I can't wait to see your replies :)
    http://www.chrisamorbeauty.com/2014/05/Liebster-blogging-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love chickpeas then you'll definitely love hummus! Thanks for the nom chica!

      Delete
  9. This is on my to do list, I love hummus and it's so easy to make, not sure why I keep buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DIY tastes 100% better than pre-packaged. Trust me on that one!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!