Wednesday, May 07, 2014

[Hairstyle] Bantu Knots | The #WashDayExperience


I hate it when I get myself all hyped to use a (semi)new product and it disappoints. I was gifted a bunch of Pura Body Naturals products for Christmas and I just KNEW that my hair was going to love it. The first time that I tried it---I was totally unimpressed. But I really wanted to like it. So I tried them again. And...well my hair still didn't like them. Here's how my wash day went: 

  1. Pre-shampoo- with extra virgin coconut oil and detangled
  2. Extreme deep condition- Next, I hopped into the shower for 5 minutes to rinse the oil completely. Then I applied Pura Body Naturals Chocolate Hair Smoothie, massaged my stands with extra virgin coconut oil, covered with a plastic cap and sat under hooded dryer for an hour and left it in overnight.
  3. Green Aloe Hair Rinse- After rinsing the conditioner, I applied 1 part steeped green tea + 1 part aloe vera juice, using a narrow tip applicator to my strands--focusing on the roots. I let it sit for a few minutes then rinsed.
  4. Smoothing Treatment- with a large dollop of Matrix Biolage Detangling Solution.
  5. Air Dried- to 80-85% wrapped in a cotton t-shirt.
  6. Leave ins- I used Pura Body Naturals MuruMuru Moisture Milk to moisturize, Pura Body Naturals Cupuacu Hair Butter to seal + a dab of Chi Silk Infusion (heat protectant) on my ends then bantu knotted in about 10 sections.
Results: 
So this bantu knot set looks okay right? But you don't even know the half of it. My hair was soooo dry. Think desert dry. Think my hair was more moisturized before I washed it dry. The conditioner had no slip and wasn't moisturizing at all. The I've heard so many good things about MuruMuru Moisture Milk but it did nothing for my hair. I literally felt like my hair was repelling it. The only good thing about this line is the scent. It smells like a heavenly bakery! *pero le sigh* If I was at home, I would have washed my hair over straight away. It was that bad. But because the hubby and I were on travel, I sucked it up, fluffed the curls and enjoyed myself. But, the next day, I co-washed with OGX Renewing Argan Oil of Morocco Conditioner moisturized with my trusty Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner, sealed with my kitchenista DIY Whipped Hair Butter then pulled my hair into a goddess braid. 



Thank goodness for classic protective styles to save the day!

How was your wash day?
Un mil besitos!
KLP




The Wash Day Experience Linkup RULES

  1. Healthy Hair is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.
  2. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button below which links back to The Wash Day Experience page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.
  3. Encourage the wash day experience contributor that linked up directly before you with an inspiring  comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; comment love for everyone! 




24 comments:

  1. After the great reviews I saw on the Pura products I was going to get some now I'm not soo sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! Don't let my meh meh review stop you chica. What doesn't work for my hair your hair might love!

      Delete
    2. Plus me being a U.K resident plays a factor, lol.

      Delete
    3. Yes honey! Shipping is the devil! Especially if you're taking a chance on something new.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing girly, Love the goddess braid on you, I've tried the goddess twist once. It's a great style to revisit especially since I'm all over the protective styles right now. Happy to hear you were able to recover your hair from the wash day. Nothing like having those products that you know work for your hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks chica! Back in the day, if I had a terrible wash day, I'd just tough it out---at the expense of my hair---and wait until it was time to wash again. Now, I'll co-wash on the drop of a dime if my hair feels weird!

      Delete
  3. Wow, it always amazes me how one person's must-have staple is another's hair poison. Glad your hair was able to recover. That goddess braid looks so nice and plump

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sandra! I really need to take another look at the ingredients in the smoothie and moisture milk to see if there is anything in there that my hair would disagree with. Because I have a ton of this stuff left and I'd feel so wasteful by not using it!

      Delete
  4. I've read soooo many great reviews about this line smh, this is more proof that what may work for one may not work for another.

    How do you get your bantu knots to stay when you wrap them? I always have to use a hair pin/clip which makes it even more uncomfortable for me to sleep in :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Candice. We definitely have to listen to our hair and not the hype huh? LOL.

      Nope...I don't typically use pins to secure my bantu knots. I just make sure that as I'm coiling the hair around itself, stacking each coil underneath the other, all the way to the end. Because of the coil, it usually secures the ends. Plus the last thing that you want is straight ends and the rest is in a cute little curl. (And I'm totally speaking from experience! It happened to me a few days ago!)

      Delete
  5. Your hair looks beautiful. I hate when products disappoint, too. Girl, your are rocking that blue dress! It goes so well with your skin tone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Nerline! The hubs and I had a great time in AC

      Delete
  6. It's a good thing it was gifted...would have been a harder pill to swallow if you bought them because those products are not cheap! Yor hair rebounded nicely from the Co-wash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sammy I didn't even think of that! But I do feel bad because the person who gave it to me is AMAZING and usually ON POINT with her recommendations. I just want them to work for her!

      Delete
    2. I understand.... sometimes out strands just have a mind of their own. They know what they like. lol

      Delete
  7. I haven't had any good experiences using the moisture milk or the chocolate hair smoothie. I just shelved the moisture milk and to get rid of the hair smoothie I just mixed it with another conditioner... Oh well thank the lord for your go-to products that actually work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad but true---OGX $10= 25.4oz: Pura Body Naturals $14=8 oz. *hangs head* Great tip to mix it with another conditioner.

      Delete
  8. It sucks when we have such high expectations on a product and it doesn't work. Nice braid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! I was hoping that the first time was a fluke because it was winter...nope---it's just the products. They don't like my hair. LOL.

      Delete
  9. Wow from how fabolous your pictures look you would have never thought your hair was feeling dry at all! :( good thing that cowash saved the day(next day)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not only was my hair dry, my bantu knot set was really tight and wiry. I'm used to soft and fluffy curls! The shrinkage was crazy! BSL/MBL to CL?

      Delete
  10. I hate when products do not live up to expectations. I had a similar experience with the Bee Mine range. Nevertheless your hair looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Takara! The same thing happened to me with Bee Mine too. It just goes to show you that not everything works for everyone!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!