Wednesday, May 14, 2014

[Hairstyle] Bantu Knots on Stretched Hair| The #WashDayExperience


Despite of my asi asi experience with Pura Naturals last week, the combo of co-washing + Goddess Braids totally saved the day. Co-washing gave me back the moisture that my hair craved, whilst the braids actually assisted in stretching my roots. By the time that I'd usually wash, my hair felt really great. So I skipped washing. *Collective gasp* Yeps, y'all. I skipped washing! Instead, I moisturized and baggied for several hours before bantu knotting my hair. Here's how my faux-wash day went:

  1. Moisturize- Lightly detangled then applied Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
  2. Baggy- Covered with a plastic cap and relaxed for a few hours
  3. Sealed- with Koils by Nature Nourishing Hair and Body Butter, applied a little Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie to the ends, then Bantu knotted in about 10 sections.

Results:
Waves! I've been victim to fairly tight bantu curls over the last few weeks. Today was the complete opposite. My hair was more wavey than curly. Although, it wasn't quite what I expected, I was pleasantly pleased with the results. The only downside was that by the end of the day, the waves had completely pooped out. Usually I get 3-4 days out of my curls. *insert bummed face* To make do, I pulled it all up into my favorite updo.

Will I baggy instead of washing in the future? Probably. My hair actually felt pretty darn good. After taking off the plastic cap, my hair was slightly damp to the touch; Same as it would have been had I washed before installing my bantu knots. My scalp didn't feel gross, or dry, or itchy and my hair didn't feel overloaded on product. I won't know until next wash day if my hair really likes this baggying idea, but so far, I'm a fan.

Have you ever baggied to prolong days between washes?

Besitos!
KLP




The Wash Day Experience Linkup RULES

  1. Healthy Hair is the theme. Entries completely unrelated to the theme or linked to your homepage will be deleted.
  2. Share it! Your blog post must link back to this site so others see. We even made this nifty button below which links back to The Wash Day Experience page! Just copy and drop the code into your blog post.
  3. Encourage the wash day experience contributor that linked up directly before you with an inspiring  comment. We are each here to support each other and build a community of determined women and hair-friends. Don’t worry, the chica ​who links up after you will do the same; comment love for everyone! 




24 comments:

  1. Wow! this worked out really well for you! Isn't this an amazing alternative, especially when you hair still felt amazing!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time baggying, I was amazed that it actually worked!

      Delete
  2. Interesting..... very... uhmmm thinking!? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I took the bag off, I was like WHOA!!! My hair felt amazing!

      Delete
  3. Baggying instead of washing,....Ummm I'm willing to give it a try. My hair has been extremely dry since the weather change so I've started doing the GHE again which is the same as baggying in a nut shell. Let's see how it works for me this week=)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I would have given baggying a chance during the winter when my hair was all super dry and a hot mess! LOL. I hope that it works for you too chica!

      Delete
  4. I have never used the baggying method to prolong between wash days but I am happy it worked for you. You must be really listening to your hair, because you two are in sync. You always know exactly what she needs lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl please...I be guessing. LOL! Sometimes I get it right--like this wash day. Sometimes I get it waaayyy wrong---like last wash day!

      Delete
  5. I wish I could baggy but it always makes my scalp itch sooooo bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really afraid that would happen, but so far, my scalp feels fine. Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  6. Your smile lights up the room! Your hair is banging as usual. Do it girly! I love baggying. It makes my hair feel delish!
    Divachyk | Relaxed Thairapy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Divachyk! I smile in all of my pictures. I'm just a loser that way. If I'm not smiling then something is terribly wrong!

      I learned baggying from you!

      Delete
  7. Baggying for the win. I haven't done it in a while but it certainly works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomi why was I sleeping on baggying??? Girl...this would have saved me a lot of time years ago! LOL.

      Delete
  8. Your bantu knot out looks gorge, KLP!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Looooving your bantu knot-out!! Haven't quite mastered mine yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll totally get there. Keep practicing! Thanks for stopping by chica!

      Delete
  10. I have baggied my dry hair in bantu knots to help it "set" longer by creating a bit of dampness in my hair. In fact, I think I'll do that for tomorrow...great post and love the graphics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo I love that idea! I'm totally going to try that soon! Thanks for the love chica!

      Delete
  11. I only use the baggying method when I suffer from protein overload, which is a bad thing. I should do it more often. It always works for me though. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So...why exactly are you just telling me this Nerline! LOL. EVERYONE and they mama has tried baggying except me. LOL. I'm always late to the party!

      Delete
  12. I just had someone ask me about baggying on the blog. I gave her the short version but wondered if I should just write it up. Anywho, your bantu knots turned out cute. I tried them and failed. I told Divachyk I was going to try it again for her #techniquethursday. LOL
    Tiki | Grow It Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tiki! Please keep trying bantu knots. I promise that you'll hit your stride soon! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

We'd love to hear from you! Leave a note!